Monday, January 19, 2009

When You Have Lemons...

I have had some strange contradictions of taste lately- one minute I want warm and comforting, the next I want fresh and light. So here is fresh and light! 

I have been looking for a yogurt cake recipe that isn't too rubbery. Most recipes work best with thick, whole milk yogurt like the Fage one, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used a basic lowfat one, and it worked pretty well. The lemon can be replaced with another citrus- orange, grapefruit, etc.



Lemon Yogurt Cake 

1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. plain yogurt (thick, whole milk is best, but you can make the cake lighter by using a lowfat kind)
1 c. sugar
zest of 1-2 lemons (depending on your fondness of really lemony taste)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. melted butter
1/3 c. lemon juice

glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
3 T. lemon juice (or 1 1/2 T water and 1 t. vanilla)



Preheat the oven to 350*F


grate the zest of two lemons and squeeze the juice into a separate cup. Set aside. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, zest, butter, eggs and juice. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and using a hand mixer, combine until it forms a smooth batter. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan, then cool completely on a rack or dish. 

For the glaze- combine the sugar with the juice so it forms a glaze. Pour over the cake and let it harden for a few minutes. Enjoy either warm or at room temperature.





... and the next minute.... marble cake.




2 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Your yogurt cake looks wonderful with those thin slices of lemon. I just made the Barefoot Contessa's yogurt and it was delicious. She uses oil instead of butter. I'm going to have to try your recipe too!

Donna-FFW said...

I love lemon cakes. Especially with the glaze. Such a pretty presentation!! I havent tried a cake with yogurt. I usually use buttercream, but I'll have to give this a try. Looks so nice