Saturday, January 31, 2009

Frothed Milk and Toffee


I have discovered one of the best kitchen gadgets ever made: the milk frother (pictured above). My love for coffee has just been multiplied. I have frothed chocolate milk as well which is absolutely delicious. Frothing milk for cereal may have gone a little too far though...


Coming home from studio, T was hungry. So he brought over some fun stripy pasta! I had never tried anything like it before. 
 

It tasted all the same to me, but T insists otherwise. But it matched my plates, so I was happy. 

I got a request to make some peanut butter fudge squares, but upon searching for the recipe, I came across this recipe for toffee bars. Too good to pass up, I went out to the 7-eleven and CVS to find the ingredients. I had to do some modifying since I couldn't find much... and it ended up being a complete experiment. (I think the recipe is a bastardization of one of Dorie Greenspans'). I used Hershey's bars (a mix of the special dark and milk)... but I would suggest using at least baking chocolate chips for this. Next time. 




Toffee Crunch Bars

1 1/2 c. flour
1 T instant coffee or espresso powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. butter (softened)
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 oz. chocolate chips

Topping:
6-10 oz (depending how thick you want your chocolate layer) chocolate chips
1 c. crushed toffee bars (like Heath bars)


Preheat the oven to 375*F. 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, espresso powder and salt. In a medium sized bowl, cream the sugar and butter until smooth. Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture and add the chocolate chips. Combine until it forms a dough. 

Butter a pan (around 9x13), and press the dough into it with your fingers, covering the bottom evenly and smoothly. Bake for 20 minutes or until baked through, when the bubbling slows down (be careful that it doesn't burn on the edges- mine singed a little bit, and later it will become very crunchy).

Remove the pan from the oven and turn the oven off. Evenly spread the chocolate chips over the dough and return to the oven for 2 minutes in order to melt the chocolate. Remove from the oven and quickly spread the chocolate over the dough evenly. Sprinkle the toffee crumbles over the chocolate evenly and allow them to cool. Cut into 2" squares (or whatever size you like). If the chocolate has a tough time setting, pop them in the refrigerator for a few minutes. You may have to break them apart a little when cutting them. Mine did not want to be cut square, but maybe I baked them a little too long. 

These are really crunchy and very sweet. They will be sure to satisfy all sugar and chocolate cravings. 

Enjoy with some frothed milk and coffee! 



3 comments:

Ingrid said...

Your toffee bars look great! That's terrific that you were able to adapt the recipe to what you had on hand!
~ingrid

Rachelle said...

TWDers have the toffee crunch bars on the list to make in Feb.! I can't wait to make them :)

Pam said...

I want a milk frother! What a wonderful invention. The toffee bars look and sound tasty.