Thursday, December 25, 2008

Pinwheels and Ladies

Mini Madelines

Being Jewish is only difficult two times a year- Christmas  day and Easter, which often falls during Passover. These are cruel tricks in life. But having the day to myself today, I decided to try some recipes that I had never attempted before. 

Madelines

4 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. orange extract

Preheat the oven to 400*F. 
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and extracts until they are thick (2-3 minutes). Slowly add the flour and egg and beat until fully combined. Spoon the batter into madeline trays (I had mini ones which worked fine- they cooked for just a little less time). Don't over-fill them too much, since they tend to bubble up and loose the shell-shape (the whole point, don't-you-know).  Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned at the top. Let them cool, then pop them out of the molds and finish cooling on a wire rack. 



Cranberry Scones

Thanksgiving left us with an abundance of extra cranberries. And scones are amazing. Therefore, there was only one solution:

I took a standard scone recipe and added cranberries. Since I was in a baking frenzy, I didn't keep track of what temperature it was at, so I just baked it until it was done. The closer you are to 400*, the more like 20 minutes, to 350, to 30 minutes. Keep an eye. 


Pinwheels

Too much cookie dough... mmmm

No comments: